Thursday, September 2, 2010
So the Big News is . . .
It looks like Ben's second surgery will be tomorrow at 11 a.m. The Dr's all met with Ben and Scott this afternoon (after I went home for dinner) and said that Ben has had enough seizures that all came from the left hippocampus. This confirms what we thought before the test. They also did about 2 hours of mapping on Ben's brain this evening to test his verbal skills, and will test his memory at 8 a.m. tomorrow. Since the hippocampus deals with memory, the test tomorrow morning will be the deciding factor in whether or not they can safely remove his left hippocampus during surgery. Even if they decided they can't do that, they plan on removing the electrodes tomorrow. So it looks like surgery of one kind or another for tomorrow. It will be good to finish this ordeal sooner than later, but I'll admit I'm a little shell shocked right now. Up until 6 or so this evening, I really thought we'd have 4 more days till the next surgery.